Sep 9, 2008

Epic Proportions

I still have a hang-over due to the mushrooms of blogs that talked about their amazing experience in eraserheads reunion.I wish I have been there. That was like a part of an era. Not just a year we called 90's, but also a beginning of something.Please don't ask me why I missed my chance to go there.

I can't help but to analogize the heavy influence I got from this amazing quartet. If my dad have Duran Duran, The Dawn, and Tears for Fears, and my mom have Beatles, ApoHikingSociety and Martin Nievera to be said that they were a part of that evolution in music, then I could proudly have the 90's in my soul.

For me, ehead's introduction to the scene was one of the most beautiful thing that happened. Their music was like a first dose antiseptic applied to a wound; or a pre-requisite to the subjects on a curriculum.

Then as perceived, I started listening to other bands from then on.

As we grew up, you will notice that most of what you're listening in levels up. Remembering the growls and angst of Slapshock, Greyhoundz and Quezo (Originally Cheese), they were also the ones you (I'm talking about people who born from 1982 to 1990) listened to.

Fast forward to 2007 and to the present times. Presently, it is a silent challenge for most artists to create an era. No. Definitely now's not the good time for the next eheads, rivermaya, juan dela cruz or regine velazques to name a few. Yes, kids today knows the difference between sounding like their influences and just having influences as a daily source of energy and oxygen. Yesteryears, we craved for a sound we could dance with it, sing with it, laugh with it, cry with it, and bang our heads with it.

Yet the priority today is to create good, magnifying and quintessential music. And if I may sight a band that signifies those adjectives, I'll put Updharmadown on the top of my list.

This band gave meaning of growing from my musical roots. Truly a brave new influence I've got in recent years.

They're about to finish their sophomore album as I speak. They even documented some of the process of making the album. I guess to be more personal and more mind-seering as possible to the listeners; that creating music weren't just money on the bank, hit after hits, booze, drugs, sex and noon time shows.

Hindi ba't mas masarap pakinggan ang isang album kapag nakikita't naramdaman mo kung gaano ito pinaghirapan at pinaghandaan?